Local 703 Enhanced Stewards' Training (Nov 28/19)
2920 Virtual Way 130 Vancouver, BC V5M 4X3 Canada
To ensure continuity of service during the COVID-19 pandemic, all BCGEU offices are closed and staff are working remotely to assist members. We recommend that you email the appropriate office if you require assistance.
To: All BCGEU Local 703 Stewards
Re: Enhanced Steward Training Day
Date/Time: Thursday, November 28, 2019 (9:00am – 4:30pm)
Location: Lower Mainland Area Office – #130 – 2920 Virtual Way, Vancouver (Squamish Meeting Room)
The Union will be hosting an Enhanced Steward Training Day for all BCGEU Local 703 Stewards on Thursday, November 28, 2019, at the Lower Mainland Area Office.
We will be using this day to inform, discuss and connect. The enhanced stewards course is an annual refresher course. All Stewards are encouraged to attend this one day training to update the skills that you have learned in previous courses.
The topics covered in this course will include:
· Grievance 101
· Effective step 1 meetings
· Investigation of the facts of a grievance
· Filling out grievance forms and providing supporting documentation
· Forwarding grievances to the Union – best practices
· The role of the steward and the staff representative
· The role of the steward
· Duty of fair representation
· Union orientation
· Attending local meetings and provide a worksite report
· Building a stronger worksite steward
· Best practices for:
· representing a member in a discipline meeting
· representing a member in an investigation meeting
· Steward resources
· Joint training
Please RSVP (including employer-paid hours needed for Leave of Absence and/or travel requirements) by no later than November 21, 2019.
Registration is limited, so please RSVP soon!
Lunch will be provided so also please advise if you have any dietary restrictions.
Parking information is available upon request.
We look forward to seeing you!